Watercolor Fruit of the Month Series: #1 Strawberries taught by Tara Sweeney
February 24, 2021 @ 9:30 am – 12:30 pm CST
Schedule for the virtual sessions: 9:30-11 am livestream demo; 11am-noon offline worktime; Noon-12:30 livestream Q&A
Do you wish drawing before watercolor could be more efficient, more fun? Tracing or projecting may be accurate but these shortcuts aren’t teaching you to draw and can make your work really tight. Try a painterly approach to drawing. Let the water do more work. Play with shapes and colors. Learn to sketch and paint more freely and expressively with brush and watercolor. Painting the fruit of the month from direct observation with expert support will help build confidence and skill in seeing, drawing and painting shapes and values. This foundational watercolor series is taught virtually over Zoom with instructor demos, Q&A, independent work time and individualized feedback. All levels welcome.
Please note: Payment and registration for this class will not be done through wetpaintart.com, and therefore will not show up on your customer account. Check out using your PayPal account or as a guest. Please email email@example.com if you have questions.
- good quality watercolor paper or block, 140# cold-press, 8×10 to 9×12 inches. Instructor demonstrates on loose sheets and block. If you choose loose sheets, have a mounting surface and tape or staples to restrain paper while you work.
- professional quality watercolors, tubes only, minimum of 6 colors (2 yellows; 2 blues; 2 reds that lean in different temperature directions. For example: hansa yellow light; quinacridone nickel gold; quinacridone rose; pyrrol red; pthalo blue; ultramarine blue)
- palette with several good-sized mixing wells or tray. Jones travel palette or tray palette works well.
- good quality watercolor round #10 brush with good point and carrying load capacity, synthetic or mix of synthetic and natural hair
- rinsing containers
- paper towels or a small clean household sponge
- fruit props: email identifying fruit of the month will be sent before each session
Next classes in the series :
Wednesday March 31, 9:30-12:30 pm- registration details coming soon!
Wednesday April 28, 9:30-12:30 pm- registration details coming soon!
Saint Paul teaching artist, illustrator and author Tara Sweeney has been creating award-winning watercolors for nearly forty years. TPT2’s MN Original showcased her collaborative work https://www.tpt.org/post/artist-tara-sweeney/ on the MN Book Award finalist picture book A to Zåäö: Playing with History at the American Swedish Institute, funded by a 2017 MN State Arts Board grant and published by University of MN Press (December 2019). The original illustrations are on view by timed entry in the exhibit the book inspired–extra/ordinary–at the American Swedish Institute until January 24, 2021. She is professor emeritus with Augsburg University where she taught drawing and painting for 25 years. She earned undergraduate degrees in design and studio art from the University of WI, and an MFA from the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. She is a signature member of the MN Watercolor and National Watercolor Societies. Follow her recent work @tarasweeneyart on Instagram and at tarasweeneyart.com
Photo credit: Maggie Royce