Two Tube Watercolor Painting Series taught by Jinjer Markley: #1 Indigo and Lemon
September 15 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm CDT$16
Tuesday, September 15th 11am-12pm CST (plus independent painting time “homework”)
FEE: $16 (includes printable color wheel reference guide and palette grid)
If registering for a class through wetpaintart.com, you’ll be asked for a Shipping Address during check out. Please use your Billing Address and select ‘Class Registration’ as your Shipping Method if your purchase only includes class registration fees.
A limited color palette is a sure way to make a stylish, cohesive, harmonious painting, regardless of what style you use. You will be very surprised to discover how many different colors you can mix up using only two tubes of paint!
This hour-long Live Zoom class includes instruction, demonstration, and question + answer time. It will prepare you to paint a color reference sheet to beautifully illustrate the colors achievable with two tubes of watercolor paint, while getting hands-on practice in Munsell Color Theory. Afterwards, you’ll paint a simple subject from still-life or reference, with a focus on design, light and shadow.
Two tube watercolor painting series of classes is intended for students with some painting experience. Each class in the series focuses on a different color combination. Take the whole series if you want a great excuse to get to know more new colors, or go deeper into limited-color-palette painting!
“This was a great class series. I learned a whole lot more about watercolor and mixing colors. And I enjoyed watching the process and results. The zoom set up is great for this type of teaching – seeing what she does and then we can go experiment and come back later to show results/progress.”- Pam (student)
This first class will have a focus on the technical aspects of efficiently mixing up a pleasing and useful color range from your two tubes. The demonstrated sample image will use a paint-in-the-lines style of painting that is easily adaptable to any image.
Students will need, for each class:
- Students will need at least three sheets of good-quality watercolor paper, at least 8” x10”. I recommend Stonehenge Aqua or Hahnemuhle Cezanne -Cold Press, 140 lb.
- Palettes (at least one 10-12 well palette)
- Water, jars, rags, etc.
- A variety of watercolor brushes. At a minimum, I recommend:
- Size 3-4 round
- Size 6-9 round
- A blow-dryer might come in handy, so if you have one, please bring it!
- A still-life object or photograph to use as subject material.
- Printouts of the attached reference documents. (sent to registered students)
- A phone or tablet with an app that can turn photographs black and white. I recommend BlackCam by XnView. Your iPhone has this feature built in.
- Two tubes of watercolor paint! Each class will focus on a specific color combination, so use the following list to determine which colors you should buy.Any brand professional grade watercolor.
#1: Indigo and Lemon
- Use one of these Indigos
- Indanthrone Blue PB60: M. Graham Anthraquinone Blue #33-012, Daniel Smith Indanthrone #284600043, Holbein Royal Blue #W103 or #W303
- Ultramarine Violet PV15: M. Graham Ultramarine Violet #33-193, Daniel Smith Ultramarine Violet #284600108, QOR Ultramarine Violet #7000290-1
- Dioxazine Violet PV 23: M. Graham Dioxazine Purple #33-100, Holbein Permanent Violet #W115 or #315, QOR Dioxazine Purple #7000295-1
- Use one of these Lemons:
- Hansa Yellow PY97: M. Graham Hansa Yellow Deep #33-106, Daniel Smith Hansa Yellow Medium #284600039
- Benzimida Yellow PY151/154: M. Graham Azo Yellow #33-018, Daniel Smith Azo Yellow #284600215, QOR Benzimidazolone Yellow #7000126-1
- Hansa Yellow Light PY3: M. Graham Hansa Yellow #33-107, Daniel Smith Hansa Yellow Lt #284600041, QOR Hansa Yellow Lt #7000110-1
- Cadmium Lemon PY35: Holbein Cadmium Yellow Lemon #W040 or #W240
- Bismuth Yellow PY184: M. Graham Bismuth Yellow #33-019, Daniel Smith Bismuth Vanadate #284600154, QOR Bismuth Vanadate #7000115-1
- Benzimida Lemon PY175: Daniel Smith Lemon Yellow #284600165, Holbein Imidazalone Lemon #W051 or #W251
- Copper Azomethane PY117/129
- Nickel Titanate PY53: Daniel Smith Nickel Titanate #284600062, QOR Nickel Yellow #7000100-1
- Use one of these Indigos
This class is being offered using the Zoom online platform. Before registering, make sure your device meets the minimum requirements; view minimum requirements here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-Mac-and-Linux.
Please see your Class Confirmation email for more information on joining meetings.
Other classes in this series:
Tuesday September 29 11am-12pm
Tuesday October 13 11am-12pm
Tuesday October 27 11am-12pm
Tuesday November 10 11am-12pm