- This event has passed.
Find Your Flow: Freehand Drawing Part 2 -Shadows and Shading taught by Jinjer Markley
November 8 @ 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm CST
Multi-Session ClassClass meets Mondays, November 8th, 22nd, and December 6th from 1-3pm IN PERSON
IN PERSON CLASS
Level: Beginner- no experience necessary
Freehand Drawing means drawing from life without any pencil sketches underneath. Blank pages are scary in a delicious way, watching images appear from nothing is thrilling, and the rhythm of observing and making marks is centering. In this class, you will learn to tap into this meditative experience by learning to look, training your hands and drawing simple objects and figures. This class is just right if you are a beginning drawer, or if you want to loosen up your drawing style.
Part Two: Adding Shadows and Shading to Pen Drawings.
This class will focus on adding shading and shadows to freehand drawings. We will quickly review and practice freehand drawing techniques and exercises, and then delve into making sense of shadows. The jumble of tones in an image will resolve into a pattern that makes sense, and you will be able to choose to render shadows in all their complexity or simplify them in a way that still looks “right.”. We will also learn different ways to draw shadows.
November 8 – #1: Shadow Basics + classic pen techniques
November 22- #2: Curved surfaces + toned marker
December 6- #3: Complicated Light Sources + ink wash
- Multimedia sketchbook that can handle wet media. I like a size that is at least 7” by 9”
- Insoluble ink pens, such as Pigma Micron.
- Soluble ink pens, such as Flair pens or any sumi ink pen. I like Tombow Fudenosuke pens. This comes in a 2 pack also.
- Grey brush markers in at least three tones. Ecoline or COPIC would be great.
- Waterbrush or paint brush
- Sumi ink, or black or grey watercolor
- A lamp you can aim, such as a clip-on lamp or a gooseneck lamp. A flashlight will work in a pinch.
This is an IN-PERSON indoor class.
In keeping with the standards of other educational settings in our area, we are asking that students and instructors wear masks during in-person classes at Wet Paint. If you are having any COVID or cold-like symptoms even if you have been vaccinated, please do not come to the class. Thanks!
Ticket Instruction: You must choose a quantity to activate “get tickets”.