Watercolor Sketching: Let’s Play! taught by Tara Sweeney
September 16, 2020 @ 9:30 am – 10:30 am CDT
This class has filled. Thank you! please call the store 651-698–6431 to be added to the waiting list.
4 Wednesdays September 16-October 7 9:30-10:30am CST Fee: $64
Ready to sketch but don’t know how or where to begin? Whether you’re just getting started or already have an established sketchbook habit, wake up your Wednesdays with playful inspiration from everyday life. Work with watercolor and ink to explore from direct observation and imagination.
Watch the weekly instructor demo. Check out the linked resources. See where playful line, shape and color can take you in between the weekly demos . Share results and questions with a creative community of online sketchers. This virtual class is taught using Zoom and Google Classroom and includes weekly demo, Q&A, and instructor feedback. All levels welcome.
– good quality watercolor sketchbook. These come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Choose what feels right for you. Instructor demonstrates on 8.5×11 paper. Loose sheets with mounting surface or watercolor block also work.
– professional quality watercolors, tubes or hard pans, with a couple of good-sized mixing wells–minimum of 6 colors. Instructor will demonstrate with a split primary limited palette.
– one or more good quality watercolor round brushes, optimal size depends on paper size but in the range of #8-10 is a good bet
– brush rinsing containers
– permanent black ink pen
– 2B drawing pencil
– kneaded eraser
– paper towels or a small clean household sponge
– optional: other water-soluble media you have on hand
Participants need a strong internet connection and a device with video capability.
Next by this instructor: Watercolor Sketching: Make It A Habit October 14-November 4th 9:30-11:00 am CST
Saint Paul teaching artist, illustrator and author Tara Sweeney has been creating award-winning watercolors for nearly forty years. TPT2’s MN Original showcased her collaborative work https://www.tpt.org/post/artist-tara-sweeney/ on the MN Book Award finalist picture book A to Zåäö, funded by a 2017 MN State Arts Board grant and published by University of MN Press (December 2019). The original illustrations will be on view in conjunction with the exhibit the book inspired–extra/ordinary–at the American Swedish Institute until January 2021. She is professor emeritus with Augsburg University where she taught drawing and painting for 25 years. She earned undergraduate degrees in design and studio art from the University of WI, and an MFA from the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. She is a signature member of the MN Watercolor and National Watercolor Societies. tarasweeneyart.com @tarasweeneyart on Instagram.